DESIGN YOUR FACILITATION STRATEGY
Gain confidence in your facilitation skills by learning how to build and plan purposeful workshops
Workshop planning can be grueling, especially when you’re not confident in your approach. Overcome doubt and emerge an effective workshop planner and facilitator.
In this three-day course, you will move from disliking agenda planning and feeling disjointed in your facilitation plan to confidently building a workshop strategy.
By the end of this course you will:
- Use people-centered design to improve workshop planning
- Define the purpose and objectives of your session
- Adjust your plan for your audience
- Assemble your workshop plan systematically using building blocks, considering alternatives for different audience needs
- Validate the plan through feedback and craft a Run of Show plan to prepare for delivery
Learners will leave with:
- A workshop planning template with building blocks you can use and reuse to plan future agendas
- A personalized agenda and workshop plan for large, high-risk, and/or distributed efforts
- A personalized run of show to ensure smooth delivery
Want to get people excited about a meeting or workshop?
Video: Released Friday, June 10 at 7 am PT
Video: Released Monday, June 13 at 7 am PT
Video: Released Tuesday, June 14 at 7 am PT
Preparation is the Key to Success
- The importance of preparation
- XPLANE’s unique style of facilitation and core principles
- Identifying your session scenario
Building Blocks—Activities and Agenda
- Double-sided Pencil
- Activities—Building Blocks
Get feedback and validate the plan
- Knowing the plan is complete
- Examples of plans and pivoting
- Build your facilitation team
Live Session: Tuesday, June 14, 8:00 am — 9:30 am PT
Live Session: Wednesday, June 15, 8:00 am — 9:30 am PT
Live Session: Thursday, June 16, 8:00 am — 9:30 am PT
Purpose and People
- Defining purpose and objectives
- Knowing your audience
- Workshop design canvas and core principles
Assembling the Session Plan
- Plotting the blocks
- Mapping to the audience and thinking hybrid
- Planning for feedback
Building a Run of Show
- Present your plan and live feedback
- Build your Run of Show
- Course wrap-up
Plan and present workshops with confidence.
This course is for:
This course is for you if...
- You run a lot of meetings, but have very little time to properly plan.
- You’re curious about how to use your in-meeting or workshop time more effectively and efficiently.
- You want to connect the teams you facilitate to the larger organizational purpose and leave each session with clear outcomes.
- You’re familiar with design thinking, co-creation, or have facilitated using frameworks but struggle to keep things on track when conversations or questions derail your agenda.
- You would like to invest in a better meeting or workshop strategy.
- You’re looking for best-in-class guidance on balancing the elements of meeting facilitation and workshop design: learning styles, asynchronous vs. live, presentation vs. collaboration, group vs. individual, visual facilitation and frameworks.
Course Features and Benefits
While the course is fully virtual and will be delivered via Zoom and MURAL, you’ll be able to connect with and learn from fellow participants. The group will be divided into small cohorts, with whom you’ll be working and discussing, in addition to the full-group activities and discussions.
About the Learning Experience
- Learn from expert practitioners
- Asynchronous video content to view at your own pace in your own time (zone)
- One daily, 90-minute, live-instruction session with your course instructor to learn by doing and get support
- Real-time guidance and feedback to troubleshoot and practice key skills you can immediately apply to your organization
- Benefit from rich discussions, support, and inspiration from other professionals attending the course
- This class is designed to be an open and collaborative environment where you and other learners will be able to see each other’s work. We ask learners to practice discretion.
- Lifetime access to course portal and materials including MURAL templates
- The tools and frameworks for leading the activities in your daily practice
- Access to new tools, bonus content, and course updates as the course evolves
- First look at new course offerings
Marvin Gaviola, Associate Creative Director
Marvin is a world-class visual thinker with over 10 years of experience honing his facilitation, design, and system thinking chops as part of the XPLANE team.
Marvin has facilitated numerous process-improvement workshops, design thinking discussions, and visual thinking courses. In addition, he has co-facilitated strategy and vision workshops for over 10 years. Human centered design, co-creation, and visual thinking are core to his facilitation philosophy: Engage, Visualize, Communicate, Understand, and Delight.
Through exceptional facilitation, Marvin brings people along a journey of discovery and insights.
Malarie Juricev, Director of Consulting
As Director of Consulting at XPLANE, Malarie leverages her 20+ years of expert facilitation experience to design and lead discovery workshops for our clients.
Malarie is passionate about modeling and sharing the power of effective facilitation, which she sees as a balance of preparation and agility. She champions a digital-first mindset and the power of virtual collaboration technology as a way to create a truly inclusive environment for all participants.
Q: Why should I trust XPLANE?
A: Since 1993, XPLANE has partnered with over a quarter of the Fortune 500, nonprofits, government agencies, and businesses around the globe. Over 25+ years of trying and learning on real projects with our clients, we’ve come to understand what works and what doesn’t when it comes to facilitation best practices. We’re eager to share our learnings with you to help you gain confidence in building and planning your own purposeful workshops.
Q: I’m super busy. How many hours will I need to invest? What’s the estimated course hours and assignment time?
A: Our course is built to fit your busy schedule. It’s spread out across three days, and during the course you will have access to:
- Asynchronous video content to view at your own pace in your own time (zone).
- AND one daily, 90-minute live instruction session with your instructor to practice key skills, answer questions, and provide you with additional feedback on activities. This is the equivalent of fitting one extra meeting into your week.